Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Tip to Use When You're Hungry Between Meals

I just shared this tip on Instagram and decided that it was important enough to share on my blog as well. I didn't really realize until now how much mind over matter is a seriously important tool in weight loss. So, here's my tip:
I originally started saying this to myself when I was following Jorge Cruise's 3 hour diet. He believes eating every three hours will help you lose fat rather than muscle. He has scientific studies to back it up. Some people believe it and others are still skeptics. In my opinion, I see no harm in loosely following it. I don't time my meals per say or use a stop watch to make sure I eat at exactly three hours.  I do, however, plan my meals in the same fashion. Here's what a typical days calories look like for me:

Breakfast @ 8:30 am, 300-400 cals (less if I am drinking my meal replacement)
Snack @ 10:30 am, 100-150 cals
Lunch @ 12:45 pm, 400-500 cals (less if I am eating a gigantic salad with low cal dressing like I did today)
Snack @ 4:00 pm, 100-150 cals
Dinner @ 7:30 pm, 400-500 cals (less if I am eating a 4 oz natural chicken w/ steamed veggies because I want dessert!)
Dessert @ 8:15 pm, 100-150 cals (I probably do this about 2 times a week and it's a sherbert w/ fruit).

So as you can see there isn't much time between each meal and I shouldn't be feeling hungry. Sometimes I don't eat enough cals at a meal because I don't "feel" like I need them at the time but then I end up eating a larger snack. You know what? That's fine! As long as I am within my allotted 1,650 cals at the end of the day then  I am doing just fine.

Remember: The next time you are reaching for something when you just ate an hour ago...You're next meal or snack is only 2-3 hours away and YOU CAN WAIT!

Please note: The 1,650 calorie allotment that I mention is based on my height, weight, activity level and sex. If you need help figuring out what a healthy amount of calories would be to lose weight , I strongly recommend doing a post in the forums on Calorie-count.com and asking. There are some very nice and helpful people on there. While the Calorie-Count.com website alone is a good resource, I don't feel like their calculators on there are very individualized and their calculator advised me to eat an amount under my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and I was feeling hungry because my body was starving. Ask for help in the forums and you will be happy that you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment