Tuesday, August 20, 2013

10 pounds in 10 weeks



First off, I want to point out that you will most likely NEVER see a book with that as the title. I mean really, who wants to wait a whole 10 weeks to lose a measly 10 pounds? It's not a very alluring title and definitely doesn’t satisfy the need for instant results. However, that’s how long it took me to lose 10 pounds. I started changing the way I thought about food and incorporated exercise into my plan to change my lifestyle on June 8th, 2013. It’s now August 20th, 2013 and I have finally lost the first 10 pounds.
Being a chronic yo-yo dieter, losing this first 10 pounds is not a new feeling to me. Many times in the past I would take losing 10 pounds as a “well that’s good enough” stopping point. There are a few problems with that fuzzy logic. First, when I started “dieting” I had a goal to lose 40-50 pounds not 10 pounds. That means I didn’t actually meet any kind of goal, yet I was using this small triumph as an excuse that I achieved something. Second, you can’t simply stop when you get to a goal. There is no stopping. This is your new life and your new relationship with food an exercise. If you want to stop, then you will actually rewind and go back to the body you had before (or even worse!). Third, if you  think that you deserve some kind of body breakthrough because you lost 10 pounds, you are in for a rude awakening. Losing your first 10 pounds won’t suddenly get rid of your thigh cellulite, you won’t be able to feel amazingly confident in a bikini, and you won’t have a 6 pack. The first ten pounds is going to be different for everyone depending on how much they have to lose. For me, my first 5 pounds made a significant impact on my back (Click here to see the picture) . I honestly had no idea that is where my fat would mostly be lost from. It was a nice surprise that I welcomed and embraced. I can assume that with continuing to work out I will eventually have substantially less cellulite in my legs. I know that when I am around 145 pounds I feel relatively confident in a bikini, but I may feel confident at a higher weight. Confidence is a feeling which means I can’t directly relate it with any specific weight. There are some women who are tiny and are still too self-conscious to wear a bikini and there are also larger women who radiate tons of confidence in their swimsuits. Be realistic in what you can expect to gain from the 10 pounds that you have lost. I haven’t even lost a jean size yet. I remember someone once told me that the difference between jean sizes is 10 pounds. I now consider that a myth. We are all made up differently and we should embrace what we can’t change. There’s no reason to walk around hating yourself. It will only bring you down and everyone around you.
So, why did it take me 10 weeks to lose 10 pounds? Well, the short and sweet of it is that I wanted to make sure I was making a lifestyle change. It is going to take me a longer time to lose weight but I am much more confident that it will stay off this time. I have deprived myself of very little. There have been many times that I have passed on cake, pizza, and other fatty foods. Sometimes it was easy to pass and other times I had to really hone in on my self-control.  There have also been some times in these past ten weeks that I have allowed myself those very same foods. I wouldn’t binge or constitute it as a “cheat meal” or “cheat day”. I simply allowed myself to have a smaller portion than I would normally. I would also consciously think about whether using my calories for the day towards this particular item would mean I would feel hungry later. I would consider the nutrition that I would be missing out on by using my calories towards a sugar filled cupcake. I would think of another, healthier, food item with the same calories and determine if I should just tell myself now that I could have that later in exchange for not eating this particular item now. The key is to be completely conscious of what you are eating. Think of the implications it will have on not only your ability to lose the weight but also on your overall health.
Exercise is something I have always had mixed feelings for. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I think it is so pointless. I finally thought long and hard and made the decision that I was going to have to include exercise in my life. I thought of it this way, I drive to work to a desk job, drive home and sit on the couch to watch T.V. The only time I was even moving was to go from one place I was sitting to another place I was sitting! I don’t completely blame myself. This is what society has done. My thought process led me to thinking about the fat people in scooters in the movie Wall-E. It’s sad, but parts of that movie aren’t as far-fetched as I once thought. Just look around. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to work out every day or I would give up on it. Rather than saying to myself “I must workout 3-4 times with week or I’m a failure!” I said “I’m just going to work out whenever I can and quit making excuses of why I can’t workout”. Basically, I make an attempt to work out after work every day except if I worked out the day before. Some weeks I only work out twice and other weeks I work out as much as four times. My workouts are normally 45-60 minutes long and I put in a very good effort. If you are going to work out less, then you really need to make the best of it . My workouts vary depending on my mood. I do a mixture of  High Intensity Interval Training, Zumba, Biking, and house cleaning. Yes, I said house cleaning. I was so sedentary that vigorous house cleaning can burn quite a few calories. For the most part I don’t count house cleaning as an actual exercise but if I know I will be cleaning for a good two hours, I will put on my heart rate monitor and make an additional effort to clean at a quicker rate or throw a few hundred jumping jacks in or even sprint between tasks. Since I have been working out for 10 weeks now, I make my goals based off of what I know I am capable of. My goal this month is to work out 13 times and to burn more calories than I did last month. I have a free app on my phone called Cardio Trainer that helps me keep track. I’ve worked out 9 times so far this month so I still need to get 4 workouts in before the end of the month. I am going to make every effort I can to make one of those workouts be tonight. If I can’t do it for some reason my world isn’t over. I will still have 10 more days left in the month to get it in. The main point is to quit making excuses and make a real effort to get your work out in. When you do get the chance to workout make sure you are giving it all you’ve got! 
I believe to be successful you must first have the knowledge required and believe in what you are doing. You may want to check out some of the books I have been reading which are shown on the right of my page. Eat to Live, The China Study and Salt, Sugar, Fat have all made a huge impact on how I think about food.  If anything I have said here has helped you, please don’t be shy! Leave me a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment